Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Big Ugly

Okay, I'm going to be a party pooper and post some not so beautiful examples of type. However, these examples are massive, huge and unavoidable (kinda like a bad hangover).

The first is the Rogers Centre (formerly the Sky Dome) in Toronto. Since I live just a stone's throw away from this beast, it's permanently etched in my brain. I would bet these are the largest letters in the city. I think it's pretty sad that a corporations logo is so hugely branded on what is supposed to be a major cultural institution.




Next is a sample right in the heart of the downtown condo cancer (um, right where I live). However, I secretly love how the panels move up and down to create different shapes and graphic compositions. I just hope they put a grocery store in that thing.

1 comment:

jordan said...

The Rogers Centre sign cost well over six figures, not including the salaries of the team of engineers that it took to install the letters on the building.

The sign had to be entirely recreated after the first one fell off the truck.